Re: Problem accessing Win98 network drive when logged in via ssh (or cron)

> On May 15 13:29, Gareth Howell wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have cygwin (latest) running on an XP machine. It needs to access two workstations running Win95 and one running Win98.
>>
>> At the windows level, there are drive maps to the 'C' drives on the three workstations as X:, Y: and Z: and the filesystem can be seen.
>> Cygwin's fstab has lines to mount the same network shares (using UNC paths) under the /mnt directory.
>>
>> The two Win95 shares and the single Win98 share show up just fine as type vfat when I do a mount when running cygwin terminal on the XP machine.
>> If I log in remotely using ssh (as Administrator), the two Win95 shares show up as before, but the Win98 share shows up as type unknown and I can't access the filesystem. The same occurs if a job is run using the Administrator's crontab.
>>
>> I can see it's probably a permissions issue, but I can't get to the bottom of it or understand why the behaviour is different between Win95 and Win98.
>>
>> Any guidance would be welcome.
>
> First, please read the User's Guide chapter about switching the user
> context.  It explains the problems with mapping shares when changing
> the user account via ssh or whatever:
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview
>
> In your scenario it might have something to do with the way the shares
> are shared.  The old SMB knew user level shares and, well, share level
> shares.  The latter doesn't require a logon to be accessible.  Maybe the
> 95 shares are shared this way?
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

Thanks for that Corinna. It's weird; the Win95 shares appear OK, it's only the Win98 share. As I indicated in another thread, I have avoided the problem by using a different workstation as the proxy. I have a different problem with that one though.

All three shares appear OK when I log in using SSH. When I try to run rsync over ssh though, I get errors saying the mount points "vanished" during the transfer.

Gareth