This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
64-bit Cygwin packages (was RE: Is the Latest Release of Cygwin supported on Windows Server 8/2012)
- From: "Matt Seitz (matseitz)" <matseitz at cisco dot com>
- To: "Cygwin-L" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: "Warren Young" <warren at etr-usa dot com>
- Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:06:18 -0700
- Subject: 64-bit Cygwin packages (was RE: Is the Latest Release of Cygwin supported on Windows Server 8/2012)
> From: Cygwin-L On Behalf Of Warren Young
> I would say that the vast majority of the packages in the Cygwin
> distribution could not reasonably make use of 64-bit data spaces.
> However, one of your arguments in this thread cuts both ways: the fact
> that there are a few packages that reasonably can do so means you cannot
> say "we don't need it".
If someone wants a 64-bit version of a packages in the distribution, then how about they build a 64-bit version of the package and report the results? That would give the distribution maintainers actual data about the costs and benefits.