Re: 64-bit Cygwin packages (was RE: Is the Latest Release of Cygwin supported on Windows Server 8/2012)

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 01:15:24PM -0700, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
>> From: Cygwin-L: On Behalf
>> Of marco atzeri
>>
>> Until we work and deploy a 64bit cygwin1.dll the idea to build any 64 bit
>> cygwin program is pure academic and not very useful.
>>
>> If you want to propose patches for 64 bit cygwin cygwin-developers is the
>> right mailing list.
>
>Sorry if I wasn't clear.  That's exactly what I was trying to suggest:
>if someone wants a 64-bit Cygwin package, they should start by building
>such a package themselves, including any necessary changes to
>cygwin1.dll.  Once you've got a working example, bring your results and
>patches to the maintainers.

No, sorry.  Please don't do this.  Something this major requires serious
coordination, not a 10,000 line patch.

So, if someone seriously wants to do this then join the cygwin-developers
list to discuss it.  Don't start a discussion unless you want to actually
do some work though.  We're not keenly interested in your ideas unless you
are thoroughly versed in how Cygwin works now and are willing to work to
getting things working with a 64-bit compiler.

cgf