Re: program restarts itself automatically when run from Cygwin shell

i) My application ends with 'return 0'. When I put a debugging statement such
as 'cout << "Here I am" << endl' just before 'return 0' I see the message in
the output just before a restart, so I'm pretty sure the code is getting
there.

ii) I set 'proc_retry' to 0 or 1 in a Cygwin shell like this
  CYGWIN=proc_retry:1
(following the example given here
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00103.html) and tried again. Didn't
solve the problem. Sometimes still restarts more than once automatically. Is
the default value something other than 0 or 1? Was my way of setting the
proc_retry environment variable effective?