Re: Trusted Software Vendor

On Jun 19 04:25, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> >> It's irrelevant for setup.exe.
>
> > It's not.  Try to start any executable on a NTFS filesystem.  Remove
> > the executable bits from all entries in the ACL.  Try again.
>
> Sure that will cause issues, but read quote from the start.
> If you download setup.exe using wget, it's unlikely you'll be unable to run
> it.
> You need to do some real tinkering first to prevent that.

I was solely referring to the common misconception that the execute bit
has no meaning for Windows excecutables.  Some people even think the
execute bit is just faked by Cygwin(*).  I can't let this go without
commenting on it.

Corinna

(*) which it is, but only on filesystems which don't support permissions
    at all, like FAT/FAT32.

Red Hat