Re: A little annoiance after modifying my .bashrc file to add an alias to edit files

On 6/20/2012 2:13 PM, gialloporpora wrote:
Hi all,
I have found this good tip:
http://www.mikaelkrok.net/component/content/article/44-java/131-use-cygwin-with-your-best-external-windows-text-editor

to use my Windows text editor to modify files.
I have added this line to my .bashrc file:
alias edit="cygstart /cygdrive/c/Programmi/Crimson\ Editor/cedt.exe
"$(cygpath -w "$1")""
I have only an annoiance, not a real problem, only an annoiance: when I
start the Cygwin shell and it loads the .bashrc file, it is shown this message:
cygpath: can't convert empty path

Is it possible to hide it without removing the tip?

I'm curious why you query the list for help instead of your original source. That notwithstanding, the reason you see this is because the alias you found and are using is wrong. From the bash man page:

   There is no mechanism for using arguments in the replacement text.  If
   arguments are needed, a shell function should be  used  (see  FUNCTIONS
   below).

The alias you pulled from the web tries to work-around this restriction,
without much success (not surprisingly).  Use a function something like
this:

edit ()
{
cygstart "/cygdrive/c/Programmi/Crimson\ Editor/cedt.exe" $(cygpath -w "$*")
}

--
Larry