Re: Cygwin unstable as hell on Windows7 64bitâ

On 21/06/2012 1:49 PM, James Johnston wrote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 15:55
Subject: Re: Cygwin unstable as hell on Windows7 64bitâ

On 21/06/2012 11:34 AM, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
I checked the BLODA, but with only the following programs left
running, Cygwin is still getting killed:

$ ps -efW
<snip>

A task list isn't terribly useful:
- It doesn't include system tasks (winlogon.exe and a pile of svchost.exe
being prominently absent)
- Some BLODA are services, which tend to run as threads within a process
rather than given their own
- BLODA are most often troublesome because they inject dlls dynamically
into other processes. I dont' know the mechanics, but I suspect it involves
black magic in the registry and doesn't require the BLODA to be "running" at
all (that's why an uninstall is usually needed to clean up the mess).
No black magic at all - can I introduce you to the AppInit_DLLs registry value?
OT: I consider the Windows registry to be a branch of black magic. It sucks the life out of programs, enthralls them, and otherwise makes life miserable for everyone it touches. ;)

Ryan