Re: Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages

On 7/28/2012 6:56 AM, L Anderson wrote:
Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup. Also, I notice that
most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
libraries. I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.

Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
and is it a problem?

No, it isn't a problem. Those packages don't have any binary content, that's why setup.exe show ? as their size. We use them when more than one package is generated from the same upstream source, e.g. libsomething1, libsomething-devel and something-doc. In this case the package something, with "(source)" in its description, will contain the source, and the other packages will contain the binary stuff. What Aaron has described is another possible source of ? sizes, but then the packages would be in the Misc category, as setup.exe wouldn't have the category info either.

szgyg