Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 8/10/2012 7:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>
>> I use Cygwin a lot. And I kick off Windows processes a lot. Recently I've
>> been having a problem with my system but from Cygwin all I see is
>> "permission denied":
>>
>>     Ltsdo-adefaria:cd /cygdrive/c/Program\
>> Files/IBM/RationalSDLC/Clearquest
>>     Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l clearquest.exe
>>     -rwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrators clearusers 245760 Jun  2  2011
>>     clearquest.exe*
>>     Ltsdo-adefaria:clearquest
>>     bash: ./clearquest: Permission denied
>>     Ltsdo-adefaria:
>>
>> However if I use cmd the real error message comes out:
>>
>>     Ltsdo-adefaria:cmd /c clearquest
>>     The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
>>     configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or
>>     use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
>>
>> I know that this "side-by-side configuration is incorrect" is a
>> configuration error on my machine and I need to fix it, but shouldn't
>> Cygwin's exec(2) report the "side-by-side" error instead of the more
>> erroneous "Permission denied" error?
>

> Cygwin doesn't report Windows error codes.  It reports POSIX ones.  I
> have no idea why there would be a POSIX error code for side-by-side
> errors but if there were, then reporting that is more appropriate.

IMO, Permission denied is correct for the error code returned from the
exec call.

Anyway http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/error-the-application-has-failed-to-start-because/df019c0d-746e-42d0-ad68-465e18e3f3ef
has the reason for the so called "side-by-side" error.

--
Earnie