Re: /etc/profile

On 8/22/2012 1:50 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
The issue is that to effect that customization I have to change a file that is not supposed to be changed (since that prevents any updates from getting to it automatically).
I've long since (circa 1994 or so) had a script called set_path that I can source to set my path from scratch. My ~/.bashrc calls it. I can add on different directories as required from my various clients. Directories only get added to the path if they exist.

Now why can't you do similar? It would not be "changing a file that is not supposed to be changes" rather it would be changing files that you own and that should be changed.

It's your environment - take control of it!
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.