Re: stuff running slowly

On 8/26/2012 10:03 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
Hi. Please cc me on any answers, as I am not subscribed to the list.

I have a recent (a few weeeks old) cygwin install on my Win 7 laptop
Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) + an SSD.

When I first did the install I thought I saw a performance improvement
over the ~ 1 year old install I had.  In the past two weeks though, it
has slowed way down.  Running

./configure && make && make check

in the gawk master branch takes close to half an hour, maybe more!  On
simlar hardware under Linux, it takes less than a minute.

I had to disable the bash_completion stuff at startup to even get a
shell prompt within a reasonable amount of time.

Clerly something is wrong somewhere, but I'm not a Windows god so I
have no idea where to look.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins
(Gawk maintainer)

Arnold, on a not very fast laptop, using the last source package I have:

$ time cygport gawk-4.0.1-1.cygport compile

real    2m59.539s
user    1m52.266s
sys     1m34.082s

$ time cygport gawk-4.0.1-1.cygport check

real    1m53.997s
user    0m25.064s
sys     1m3.221s

so it seems a specific issue on your machine.

Likely some type of
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
usually an antivirus one....

see also