Re: adding an ID with ssh password authentication broken passwordless authentication

On 9/14/2012 9:00 AM, John Ward wrote:
John Ward <ingops <at> gmail.com> writes:

I finally figured it out.  It actually was a problem with a domain account that
I broke when I ran "mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd" to make sure the new local
account existed in the passwd file (obviously removing the Domain account in the
process).

So I identified the issue improperly.  I just need to read a lot more about
Cygwin and take some tutorials or something.

As soon as I put back the domain account information back into the passwd file
by running "mkpasswd -d MyDomain -u MyID >> /etc/passwd", then I was able to
successfully SSH from another machine (It asked for the password, and it
worked).  I then was able to successfully SFTP to the 2003 server from another
server (setup with the keys).

I guess I need to learn how to properly ssh in from another machine using the
passwordless login.

Can anyone recommend a "cygwin for dummies" site, or a list of great resources
to learn more?
Learn to help yourself: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+setup+passwordless+ssh&l=1 or http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+setup+passwordless+ssh+in+cygwin

Let us know if you still need help.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he just whipped out a quarter?