Re: Unwanted texlive invasion

On 9/25/2012 11:41 AM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade a set of existing cygwin packages, and texlive
suddenly wants to install itself, apparently due to a new dependency
from gnuplot. Is this really necessary?

This dependency is created by cygport. It's of course up to the gnuplot maintainer (Volker Zell) whether or not he wants to override it, but I can explain the rationale. gnuplot installs some files into /usr/share/texmf-dist. To make it possible for tex to find those files, the gnuplot postinstall script runs /usr/bin/mktexlsr. The latter is provided by texlive-collection-basic, so this package is required by gnuplot.

Maybe you should just bite the bullet and install texlive. It won't interfere in any way with your native TeX Live installation, as long as you put the bin directory for the latter first in your path.

Ken