RE: Creating CD of installation packages: Download incomplete. Try again?

Paul sent the following at Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:00 AM
>My laptop will be re-imaged, so I want to be able to replicate my cygwin
>setup on the brand spanking new computer. The laptop has been taken
>away so I no longer have it right now. Hence I can only provide limited
>details about the problem context.
>
>I updated all the packages on my cygwin installation and then ran setup
>again so that I can create a folder of package installation files in a
>brand new folder, which I planned to burn to CD. It was 99% complete,
>then I got the message "Download incomplete. Try again?". Clicking "Yes"
>repeats the entire process of choosing a mirrors, etc. However, in
>successive attempts, I get the message again, but right away rather than
>after an hour or so of downloading. I tried different mirrors, but got
>the same result. It was only after I tried to download to a brand new
>folder that it actually did some downloading again before presenting the
>same message.
>
>In the evening, I also tried a different computer at a different site
>(at home) and got the same result (new folder allows download for a
>while, then the same message), even though I was using a different
>mirror than the ones used earlier. Both systems are Windows 7 (one is
>32-bit, the other is 64-bit). Neither of these mirrors presented such an
>problem in past years.
>
>From what I've managed to find on this topic in the mailing list,
>various causes have been proposed, from lack of disk space to corrupt
>packaging at the mirror site. However, it seems odd that this occurs
>for so many mirrors (disk space is definitely not the issue). It was
>suggested that the 99% complete download was actually usable, but before
>going that route, I want to see if a solution can be found. Any issues
>in the install would tend to be difficult to troubleshoot because
>special arrangements are needed to be able to run setup.exe.

  (A) Try splitting it into two operations:
    1. "Download Without Installing".
    2. "Install from Local Directory".

  (B) Sometimes the only part that is incomplete is renaming foo.tmp
to foo.bz2.  Try renaming any foo.tmp file you find it by hand and see
if it will "Install from Local Directory".

  (C) If there are still problems, don't do everything at once.  For
example, do only one category at a time.  (.../2004-06/msg00206.html
again)

  (D) FAQ material?

Good Luck.

- Barry