Re: Where can I find the official cygwin openssh documentation?

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 02:43:13PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
>Christopher, et al --
>
>...and then Christopher Faylor said...
>%
>% On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 11:50:08AM -0500, Mike Richardson wrote:
>% >I'm trying to set up an openssh server on Windows using cygwin.  I
>%
>% The "recommended" procedure is to follow the defaults when running those
>% scripts unless you have specific needs which require something
>% different.
>
>I don't know that I need anything different, but I've had trouble with
>sshd ever since Vista.  I'm still nailing down the details for a proper
>trouble report, but I'm currently wrestling with a Win 7 laptop and have
>only gotten as far as running as my privileged "root" account -- which
>means I can only log in as root rather than switching.  I miss the very
>explicit step-by-step third-party documentation that has gone dark :-(
>
>More to come when, again, I can put together a coherent account, but I'd
>sure love to see some advice on the matter!
>

>%
>% There is Cygwin-specific documentation in
>% /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.
>
>Been there :-(

Ok, in that case, you are being way too vague to expect any useful help.
If you aren't going to go into details about the actual problem or you
are expecting that your nonstandard setup will somehow be covered in
a step-by-step guide then you are likely doomed to disappointment.

And, FYI, most of those step-by-step guides that I am aware of were just
wrong.  The whole point of a setup script is to set-up-ssh.  If
something isn't working then it's a bug to be reported and worked on.
You can see many cases of Corinna changing the script when people report
problems.  The step-by-step guides should not be necessary.

And, before anyone has an indignant reply to this, I'll say it again: If
the setup scripts didn't work work for you then they can be fixed.  A
step-by-step guide is a band-aid.