RES: hiding cursor on text terminals

>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I have compiled a Linux ncurses gcc application on Cygwin. Everything
works
>>> fine except for curs_set(0) calls which do not hide the cursor on text
mode
>>> terminals (they work on X though). Does anybody know of a way to achieve
>>> this, even if it's not a portable solution?
>>
>>Hello!
>>
>>Please don't hide the cursor in a text interface. That will make the
>>app impossible or difficult to use with technology like a screen reader
>>or braille output. Instead, ensure that the cursor is following the
>>soft cursor. Then, the program is accessible to more people.
>
>Come on now.  There is no reason for you to care what someone does with
>their private application.
>
>The OP was reporting a potential bug which, if it is really a bug, should
>be fixed.  They don't need to lecture them on UI design.

It seems this is an old problem.
I had a look at the archives and found following post from 2001:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg01115.html

Does anybody know if there's been any change since then? Apparently not,
but maybe I'm missing something. And as I said, any workaround would be
appreciated.

Lars, I've never worked with the kind of device you mention. Maybe one day
I'll be able to contribute to having a more egalitarian access to computer
programs. For now, I don't see how having a cursor flickering around a
screen that has to be constantly updated will help blind people.

Regards,

Damian.

0