Re: Permission problem installing to Mapped Network Drive

Alan writes:
> $ chmod +x /usr/bin/latex
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/latex
> -rw-r--r-- 1 curtis None 21 Jan 25 20:04 /usr/bin/latex
>
> I can't change the permissions. How do I fix this?

Does mounting that drive someplace else with the "noacl" option help?
If so, then your network admins have configured the share in a way that
prevents you from modifying ACL, a practise that seems to spread lately.
That makes such shares mostly useless if you must use software that
actually needs correct file modes (like RCS, which will lose data if it
can't write-protect its files).  If you can't install someplace else
where you can modify the ACL for directories you create, try to make a
vhd container, mount it from Windows, then install into the virtual
drive that this creates.

Regards,
Achim.