Re: sshd service will not start on Windows 7

On 4/18/2013 8:41 PM, b45710n wrote:
Jamie Stallwood wrote
I found, by enabling shell logon for cyg_server and then running sshd,
that
/etc/ssh*_key permissions were too lax.

use the command: chmod g-rwx /etc/ssh*_key to fix these permissions.

What does that command do?

It removes the group read, write, and execute permissions for the SSH
keys in /etc.  See 'man chmod' for more.  There's no need to try to undo
this change though.  It's appropriate that these files not allow group
access to these files.

Possibly relevant:

The message I get is:

$ net start sshd
The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

$ NET HELPMSG 3534

The service did not report an error.

I followed the instructions at
http://www.scottmurphy.info/open-ssh-server-sshd-cygwin-windows
<http://www.scottmurphy.info/open-ssh-server-sshd-cygwin-windows>   to set
up sshd on windows via cygin.

Generally, this list frowns on the practice of consulting alternate
resources on the web for configuration help and then coming back to
the Cygwin site/list when problems arise as a result.  Practically, we
can't control all the sites out there that may have some configuration
information for SSH and other Cygwin packages. So we ask that you
follow-up with the original providers if the procedures, information,
and advice that they provide don't work for you.

OK, with formalities out of the way, let's talk a bit more about your
problem.  First, a quick perusal of the instructions your followed doesn't
raise any obvious red flags, other than the general notation that the
instructions are dated ("ntsec" and "tty" are obsolete settings for
the CYGWIN environment variable and are now ignored).  So we need to
see more information from you about your current configuration and what
else you've tried to address this issue.  To that end, please read and
follow the problem reporting guidelines found at the link below for any
follow-up you may have to this list.

Larry