Re: Attn: Yaakov [Was: Re: cygutils Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128]

On May 30 16:50, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >That sounds strange.  Was cygwin-doc always in Base?  It contains the
> >cygwin docs and basic man pages but that doesn't really  qualify for the
> >Base category.
> [...]
> One caveat, mentioned in my other reply: cygutils' own requires:
> line lists dos2unix, so right now a Base install gets that package.
> This is probably desirable, but if we (effectively) remove cygutils
> from a Base install, we probably would want to add dos2unix to Base
> explicitly.
>
> If we want to include (some subset of) cygutils explicitly in Base,
> I could see splitting into three subpackages:
>    cygutils (Base):
>       cygdrop cygstart lpr mkshortcut readshortcut winln

What about "cygstart mkshortcut readshortcut"?  These may be used by
postinstall scripts, the other stuff is extra, afaics.

>    cygutils-extra (Util): [requires: cygutils]
>       almost everything else, including documentation and man
>       pages (even for the exe's in the Base package)
>    cygutils-x11 (X11): [requires: cygutils]
>       the two desktop files, and the postinstall scripts that
>       handle them
>
> This way, any package that currently requires: cygutils will almost
> certainly get the tool it is looking for, without having to change
> its requires line (and besides, if cygutils is in Base you'd get
> those anyway).

So, as result, we should do this for a start:

- cygwin-doc drops "Base" from the categories.
- dos2unix adds "Base" to the categories.
- cygutils drops "dos2unix" from requires.

And additionally you propose the above change to cygutils.  Sounds good
to me.  Yaakov?

Corinna

Red Hat