Re: UNC and POSIX paths

On Jun 17 17:36, Fedin Pavel wrote:
>  Hello!
>
>  I decided to pay attention to one more problem. Lots of not very well
> written configure scripts and makefiles like to access things like
> '//usr/bin'. Under Cygwin this causes problem because Cygwin treats '//' in
> Windows-style as access to network shares.
>  What if we change this ? We could have a mount entry, something like '/unc'
> (or /smb, /net, whatever) and access it like '/smb/computername/sharename'.
> I think this would improve POSIX compatibility a lot.

Maybe there has been said enough in this thread already, but I have
to add this:  Cygwin's behaviour *is* POSIX compatible.  Consider
this excerpt from SUSv4 Base specifications, section 4.12 "Pathname
Resolution" (1):

  A pathname consisting of a single <slash> shall resolve to the root
  directory of the process. [...] If a pathname begins with two
  successive <slash> characters, the first component following the
  leading <slash> characters may be interpreted in an
  implementation-defined manner, although more than two leading <slash>
  characters shall be treated as a single <slash> character.

Corinna

(1) http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap04.html

Red Hat