Re: UNC and POSIX paths

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 07:18:12PM -0700, gmt@malth.us wrote:
>BTW, along the same lines, I stated previously it would break
>http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob_plain;f=m4/double-sl
>ash-root.m4.  Turns out I was wrong, the m4 has a hard-coded list of
>platforms.  So, I have to say, I can't think of one technical or merit-based
>reason this shouldn't be done, aside from the fact that it's annoying to
>hear it endlessly brought up on the mailing list (a problem which an
>implementation would, in fact, solve, not exacerbate).

I can't quite follow the logic here but if you're saying that if we no
longer treated // as /, people who want to use //usr/local/bin would not
complain, you're right.  That doesn't mean that a whole new class of
complainer would not show up, however.

I can say with absolute certainty that there is one person who would
complain.