having 1 set of non-bin files w/separate {bin,lib}[32/64)? (was Re: please update the supported Cygwin package list ...)

Warren Young wrote:
On 7/26/2013 23:44, marco atzeri wrote:
Il 7/27/2013 7:17 AM, Kenneth Wolcott ha scritto:

   I guess I will somehow modify my PATH so that I have
/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr/bin and /cygdrive/c/cygwin32/usr/bin

mixing will not work as the dll's are called in the same way

Just to emphasize: if both 32- and 64-bit Cygwin bin dirs are in your PATH at the same time, you will get complaints in the terminal window every time you try to run a 32-bit Cygwin program while in a 64-bit mintty shell, or vice versa.
------
	Ok, but would it be desirable (or wouldn't it be)
to have only 1 /etc, /var, /home? dir, then maybe in your bashrc have
it do a cygmount or create a softlinke from /bin32 -> /bin or /bin64->/bin
(and same for lib)?

	Or, go from the opposite direction and have two trees 32+64,
but with the non-binary dirs (/etc,/home... in those trees point
 to a common copy?).

	I can see problems, at least now, in things like package
lists stored in /etc, but wouldn't it be the case that most of your
things like passwd, X settings, and most of the other /etc/ content
you'd want the same?

	I don't think it will turn out well to try to have people
maintain 2 sets of configuration files...