abort: address space needed by 'cygXcursor-1.dll ... is already occupied

I'm novice but stumbled into a configuration that works OK for me.
I type 'startx' and get an X environment with three xterms.

Yesterday I meant to type 'cat Foo > Bar' but accidentally left off
the '>'.  Foo was a binary file and that xterm became unusable.

Today I type 'xstart' and get only two xterms, with an error shown
in the subject line.  My workaround is to modify .xinitrc to start
FOUR xterms so I get THREE to work with, but I'd prefer a "real" fix.

I'd like to be less helpless.  Will someone show me what queries
or searches would have worked to figure this out myself via FAQ's?

Septi