Re: INFO issues [more or less fully SOLVED]

Hi all...

... replying from the list archives. Relevant backward references are:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00091.html   from myself
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00092.html   from fernando
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00099.html   from Ken Brown
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00100.html   from Christopher Faylor

@ fernando...

| It would be nice to know if yours is a x86_64 version of cygwin
because I think there is something wrong in x86_64 version and this
must be a bug somewhere.

Indeed. I'm running setup-x86_64.exe .

| Don't know exactly where (the texinfo package?).

Well, I see at least TWO issues here, so that the answer to 'where'
doesn't seem very clear:

1. Whatever package (maybe setup itself ?) who'd be responsible for
making the 'update-info-dir' script available is NOT doing it. I'm
working with an in-house hand-made
version - source was courtesy of Ken Brown.

2. segfaults - see below.

| I have a x86_64 and I can confirm the update-info-dir post install
script is not available in the x86_64 version of cygwin.

Ditto here, as I've said above.

| ... when you run 'info ttttttt' using something that is not a valid
value for the info command, instead of getting the top info page you
get a "segmentation fault" error.

An example of mine from a freshly-updated setup follows:

thiers@Win-Samsung ~
$ info help
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

thiers@Win-Samsung ~
$

It should be remarked that the 'normal' functions that INFO expects DO
work normally, from the (very few) tests I've done.

@ Ken Brown...

| There's no need for manual renaming except when something goes
wrong. In general, update-info-dir.sh should get run whenever it's
needed.

Well, that MIGHT become the case whenever 'update-info-dir.sh' starts
to materialize 'by itself' in the user build. As it's currently my
case, I'm supplying it
on my own - courtesy of yourself couple days ago.

Since the script itself is missing, for the moment it's a bit hard for
me to fully trust your statement about 'should get run whenever it's
needed'...

| There's a bug that [ . . . ] cgf has stated that he's working on ...

Well, while cgf works on it, I became concerned that, whatever
(temporary ??) fix comes around, it might somehow BREAK the half-baked
solution I had prepared.
Therefore this half-noob's neurons here started working by themselves
and came up with a more flexible solution... see below.

@ALL...

Well folks this is the slightly broader solution I've come up with,
which I've tested a few times and covers a few bases (MINUS the core
dump of course):

1. Inside /etc/postinstall , my previously named 'update-info-dir.sh'
is now named 'update-info-dir_provisional_hack_thiers_2013.09.05_A.sh'.

So that, whenever CygWin starts to supply the real
'update-info-dir.sh', my own hack will remain in place and working
properly. It might then start to
REPEAT the same actions done by 'update-info-dir.sh' - I see no harm
here other than some wasted cycles of CPU & I/O. I might also detect
somehow that CygWin's
own script is finally doing its thing, and then retire my hack.

2. My .bashrc now has the following gem:

# HACK for reviving a temporarily missing postinstall script...

SCRIPT_TO_RESSURRECT=/etc/postinstall/update-info-dir_provisional_hack_thiers_2013.09.05_A.sh.done
SCRIPT_RESSURRECTED=/etc/postinstall/update-info-dir_provisional_hack_thiers_2013.09.05_A.sh
if [ -e "${SCRIPT_TO_RESSURRECT}" ]
    then
        echo
        echo "            *********   HACK from .bashrc(THIERS)   *********"
        echo
        mv -nvT ${SCRIPT_TO_RESSURRECT} ${SCRIPT_RESSURRECTED}
        echo
        echo "File EXISTED and was RENAMED. Covering temporary absence
& behavior of proper CygWin postinstall script."
        echo
#    else
#        echo "I DONT see the file."
fi