Re: Unexpected results: dirs | xargs -n 1 cygpath -aw

Greetings, Paul!

> Sorry, this is a re-post.  I did not completely sanitize the last post,
> leading to inconsistent info.  Unfortunately, I can't edit or retract a
> post from a mailing list.  Here is the self-consistent post:

> I'm doing something wrong with xargs.  If I simply use "cygpath -aw" with 2
> arguments, it works fine:

>    $cygpath -aw ~/projects/project1 ~/projects/project2

>       C:\cygwin\home\UserName\projects\project1
>       C:\cygwin\home\UserName\projects\project2

> If I use "xargs -n 1" with echo, it works fine:

>    $dirs | xargs echo

>       ~/projects/project1 ~/projects/project2

>    $dirs | xargs -n 1 echo

>       ~/projects/project1
>       ~/projects/project2

> However, if I use xargs with cygpath, it doesn't:

>    $dirs | xargs -n 1 cygpath -aw

>       C:\cygwin\home\UserName\projects\project1\~\projects\project1
>       C:\cygwin\home\UserName\projects\project1\~\projects\project2

> Thanks if anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong.

First of all, your problem is that you're using "dirs". Tilde expansion is
done by shell before command is executed, it is not done by xargs, or cygpath.
Replacing "dirs" with "ls" in your command gave me the desired results.

AnrDaemon@daemon2 ~/cr3
$ ls | xargs -n 1 cygpath -aw
C:\home\Daemon\cr3\bookmarks
C:\home\Daemon\cr3\cache