NTFS permissions still modified by rsyncd when using noacl

Hello,

I am having some difficulty with Cygwin and rsync when it comes to NTFS permissions. I have a Windows server, running the latest stable build of Cygwin, with the rsync daemon configured to run as a service using cygrunsrv. I then have another Windows box, which runs rsync in client mode and synchronises up to the rsync daemon running on the first box. I would like all files that are synchronized to have the NTFS flag set to enable them to inherit permissions from their parent object, rather than rsync attempting to set the permissions itself.

As per instructions elsewhere, I have mounted the destination directory with the noacl flag in /etc/fstab. I have modified /etc/rsyncd.conf to use this location. I can confirm this as the rsync will fail if the destination is unmounted.

For some reason, the "inherit permissions from parent" flag is still not set on the files when written to disk my the rsync daemon. This is despite the fact I can confirm that the "noacl" trick is working in other scenarios by doing something similar to the following:

touch /cygdrive/d/syncdir/test1.txt
touch /syncdir/test2.txt (where /syncdir is the above directory mounted using 'noacl')

If I then check the permissions using Explorer, "test1.txt" does not have the "inherit from parent" permissions flag set, and "test2.txt" does.

After much research and experimentation, I am at a bit of a loss!

Relevant files are as follows:

############## /etc/fstab ###############
none    /cygdrive       cygdrive        binary,posix=0,user     0       0
E:/User\040Home\040Folders      /uhf            ntfs            noacl,posix=0           0       0
############## /etc/fstab ###############

############## /etc/rsyncd.conf ###############
[home]
path=/uhf/dbriley
read only=false

The rsync command run on the client is "rsync -vr --no-p * serverhostname::home/"

With or without the "--no-p" switch makes no difference.

Client and server are running rsync 3.0.9 on Cygwin 1.7.25(0.270/5/3)

Many thanks,

Daniel Briley

This email has been scanned by the Symantec.cloud Email Security (MessageLabs) service for malware.