Re: Executing Windows commands from Cygwin with or without cmd: what are the pros and cons?

Greetings, Kenneth Wolcott!

>   Where can I find information regarding the pros and cons of using or
> not using the cmd command to execute Windows commands from Cygwin?

If you clarify, what exactly you are trying to achieve, it would be immensely
easier to answer your question, and the answer will be much more useful.

That aside, I see a very short list of commands that have no equivalents in
Cygwin environment, and very few of them are actually sensible.

Soo... which of the.. what? two commands? you plan to use?

My list is as follows:

1. Internal commands affecting the system, but have no counterpart in Cygwin:
ASSOC
ERASE
FTYPE
VERIFY
VOL (?)

2. Internal commands with no meaning outside interpreter, or even restricted
to use in batch files, which may or may not have equivalents in Cygwin:
BREAK
CALL
CLS
CMD
COLOR
DIR
ECHO
ENDLOCAL
EXIT
FOR
GOTO
HELP
IF
PAUSE
PROMPT
REM
SETLOCAL
SHIFT
TITLE
VER

3. Internal commands, that have appropriate counterparts in Cygwin:
CD
CHDIR
COPY
DATE
DEL
DOSKEY
MD
MKDIR
MOVE
PATH
POPD
PUSHD
RD
REN
RENAME
REPLACE
RMDIR
SET
START (y/n)
TIME
TYPE

External utilities disguised as internal commands, which may or may not have
counterparts in Cygwin:
AT
ATTRIB
CACLS