Re: ssh logon failure

Furthermore, I've just discovered that I _can_ log in as the cyg_server user!
>From there, if i attempt to su to myself (user greendg1), I see this:

---
$ su - greendg1
su: warning: cannot change directory to //APLFS01/GREENDG1$: Not a directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `//APLFS01': Read-only file system
//APLFS01/GREENDG1$ could not be created.
Setting HOME to /tmp.
---

This utterly confuses me; I know what APLFS01 is, but not why it's part of
this horrible mix... I'm guessing that I have an environment variable
problem, and that depending upon how I log in and when, the environment is
improperly set, which is causing bash to fail, which is why I get the
"operation not permitted" error.  But this is all conjecture.

What variable contains the value that bash uses (or ssh or su pass to bash)?