Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> >    unix="value"      Sets the NFS/Samba uid of the user to the decimal
>> >                      value.  See the next chapter.
>>
>> I know I'm bikeshedding, but "unix" seems like a pretty vague
>> attribute name here.
>>
>>     unix="good" ?
>>     unix="linux" ?
>>     unix="yesplease" ?
>>
>> I'd be happier with "uid" or similar.
>>
>> Write it in a sentence:
>>
>> a. My uid is 502; vs
>> b. My unix is 502.

> Would you believe me that I sweated about this, too?  The important
> thing to consider is, the keyword should not give the impression, that
> the uid or gid set at this point is the Cygwin uid or gid.  It's only
> the uid/gid of your NFS or Samba account on that weird Linux box.

> Really, I'm open to suggestions to have a better keyword, but it
> should make very clear that this is not your Cygwin uid/gid.

nfsUid/-Gid
Since it is almost exclusively used to talk to NFS servers.

>> >          If you create or change /etc/nsswitch.conf,
>> >          make sure to stop and restart all Cygwin processes to pick up
>> >          the change.
>>
>> "All" processes?
>>
>> If I have cron running, then exit the one instance of MinTTY after
>> vim'ing /etc/nsswitch.conf, will the file be read when I re-open
>> MinTTY?
>>
>> cron.exe is running in a different process group, isn't it?
>>
>> If true, I realize cron.exe and any programs it runs will continue
>> to believe there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf until *it* restarts.

> You are absolutely right, but, please, suggest a better wording.
> This is what I'm trying to explain in fact, but everything I came
> up with sounded like beating around the bush, more confusing than
> helping.

"...each relevant Cygwin process tree needs to be restarted to catch up"?
Something along these lines. Since these tokens maintained on per-tree basis,
inherited from the very first Cygwin process started.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...