Re: Little cygpath improvement request

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> > I'm getting a bit puzzled.  If it's only the message you don't want,
>> > then why not just send this message to /dev/null???
>>
>> Because the message serves no purpose in every use case I could think about.
>> That, aside the fact it needs to create a redirection.
>>
>> >   NATIVE=$(cygpath -ml "$2" 2>/dev/null)

> And what's the problem with redirections?

> I fail to see the big difference between adding a redirection
> compared to adding an option character.

I think we're nearing the border of the forest here. (The one that you can't
see behind trees.)

I understand that you see no problem in doing additional work at creating a
redirection, because computers are so powerful nowadays, resources are so
plentiful, nobody care... but I, myself, prefer the "it's just works" approach
when it comes to program development. Or in other words, "sensible defaults
are better, than a lot of options."

In this case, I'm in for removing the message AND option as both are redundant.

P.S.
And it's not the first time I'm fighting the case of expected usage pattern
against real-life applications.
The message is "generally useful", but such case is from artificial breed of
generic cases, that does not survive in the wild.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...