Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Greetings, Frank Fesevur!

>> This is a pretty intrusive change, in need of some serious testing, so
>> I'd like to ask for volunteers.  The latest 2014-02-13 snapshot from
>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ contains the changes, including the latest
>> bugfix.

> I noticed another thing. Not sure if I would call it a problem, just
> an observation or if it is a feature.

> As said before, my laptop is part of a domain and I have moved the
> local passwd and group out of the way.

> When I am not connected to the domain (on the road) I get this error
> every time I start mintty: "id: kan geen naam vinden bij groeps-ID
> 1049089"
> I have an export LANG=en_US.utf8 in my .bashrc so since the text is in
> Dutch this happens before the .bashrc is executed. It basically
> translates to "id: unable to find name for group ID 1049089".

> When I start my vpn and re-open mintty the error doesn't show up
> anymore, even if I disconnect the vpn again. After rebooting the error
> message occurs again.

> The reason for the message seems obvious. The process can't lookup the
> information. But it can be confusing to users to see an error at
> startup. Is it error useful to the user? Can I suppress this message?

I suppose, with latest Corinna's modifications to the ways `id' lookup the
data, this message would go away naturally.
I don't know, if the changes are available in a public snapshot, though.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...