Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port

Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
Erwin Waterlander wrote:
Hi,

The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.

I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
in handling man pages in different encoding.

Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
ported, because man-db uses it.

I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?

regards,

Erwin

I downloaded the latest version of libpipeline. It builds fine, but all the tests fail with the following error: /usr/src/ports/check/check-0.9.10-1/src/check-0.9.10/src/check_run.c:431: Error in call to timer_create: Invalid argument

So, I downloaded the source for check. The version of check that we have is a little out-of-date, but at a first glance, the code for timer_create looks okay to me.

Hmmm...I built check using the cygport file and then went into the tests folder and did a "make check" there. 5 of 6 tests failed and with that exact same error.

The version of check we have is 0.9.10 from April, 2013. The ChangeLog for 0.9.11 from November of 2013 contains the following:

    Wed, Nov 4, 2013: Released Check 0.9.11
      based on r856 (2013-11-04 02:09:21 +0000)

* Check compiles for Windows using the Cygwin environment, and all unit tests pass.

There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.

It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.

It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.

I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.

I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of shared.
Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no --enable-shared=yes.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/