Re: Tons of cygserver errors

On Apr  1 14:20, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Event Log on my PC is full (literally) of these, recorded every 5 seconds or so, and
> usually coming in in pairs (2 of the same, then 5 sec pause, then another 2, and so on)
>
> Could someone please explain what do they mean?  I am not running with Admin
> privs (although, cygserver is).  My apps do use SYSV shmem and sems.

For the records:  This:

> The description for Event ID 0 from source cygserver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
>
> If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
>
> The following information was included with the event:

is always the same text and there's really no reason to quote that at
all.  The reason it shows up in the logs is that the Microsoft event
viewer expects to find a pointer to a string resource in some DLL, but
there is none.  The only important part of the log is the freetext
comment added at the end.  This is what the Cygwin application actually
logged:

> cygserver: PID 1916: cygserver: error getting signal_arrived to server (6)

It means the pointer to the "signal_arrived" event object is invalid.
"signal_arrived" is used internally to notify wait functions that a
POSIX signal arrived for the process and to implement EINTR, for
instance.  When you're using XSI IPC functions, the signal_arrived
handle is used in cygserver to make the IPC functions interruptible.
For that, it creates a local copy of signal_arrived using
DuplicateHandle

For some reason the handle given to cygserver is invalid.  Why, I
have no idea, and your report is missing information, so here we go
again:

  http://cygwin.com/problems.html
  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#STC

Corinna