Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

On 2014-04-02 18:03, Colin wrote:
The problem I have can be reduced to this: I compile a simple "Hello
World" console mode c program. I copy the .exe file and cygwin1.dll onto
an embedded PC, open a console window, and run the program. The program
runs, and returns immediately to the command prompt, with no output. No
error messages, no nothing...

The embedded PC is currently running a full installation of Windows XP
Professional, SP3. It does so quite happily. It's CPU is DM&P Vortex86MX+
933MHz. I am able to run a "Hello World" program compiled with a native
Windows compiler on it successfully.

In discussing this with the embedded PC supplier, he suggests that the
cygwin1.dll is exiting because it doesn't recognise the CPU.

Actually, if Wikipedia[1] is correct (yes, yes, I know), the problem is that the CPU doesn't recognize the code. Apparently, these CPUs are missing the CMOV instruction used when compiling with gcc -march=i686, which has been the default setting for the Cygwin x86 compilers for several years now.

Therefore, in order to even attempt to make this work, you would have to recompile gcc for -march=i586 default, then rebuild *everything* with that gcc; but I can't guarantee that there won't be other issues as well.

Yaakov

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex86#CPU