1.7.28: Ctrl-C not working reliably

Cygwin DLL 1.7.28 32-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit (build 6.3.9600)

*Steps to reproduce*
1) Open Cygwin bash prompt
2) Type: ssh blargh  # or any non-existent host
3) Press Ctrl-C immediately after that

On my machine, the Ctrl-C doesn't stop SSH from trying to look up the
non-existent host, it keeps going until it gives up and times out (which
takes about 10 seconds of my machine, YMMV).

This problem is not specific to SSH, it just happens to be the most reliable
way to reproduce it.

It happens frequently with other programs too, but I haven't been able to
find any pattern, it seems Ctrl-C sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
It's a regression because the cases where Ctrl-C doesn't work used to work
in earlier Cygwin releases, but unfortunately I can't give you exact version
numbers...

I also checked that this happens both inside mintty and the native Win32
console, it made no difference.