Re: 1.7.28: Ctrl-C not working reliably

On 4/5/2014 4:43 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 4/4/2014 3:35 PM, Ivan Todoroski wrote:
2) Type: ssh blargh  # or any non-existent host
3) Press Ctrl-C immediately after that

On my machine, the Ctrl-C doesn't stop SSH from trying to look up the
non-existent host, it keeps going until it gives up and times out (which

Right, I noticed no difference in behavior between either.  But ^C worked
for me, although with a slight (1 second) delay.  Interestingly enough,
using a qualified name (i.e. blargh.com) made it respond immediately.

I speculate that the 1-second delay is the time it takes for *console output* to occur. The control-c is not noticed or acted upon until console output occurs. Since you hit control-c before output occurs, it has to wait. Then the moment the first character begins to print, it is interrupted from printing and you see not output. But secretly it was stdout all along that was necessary. Again, I have seen this enough over the years for me to suggest this, but have no real knowledge why and can't prove it.