Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:55:51AM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Except for the lack of an advertised bugzilla link at the Cygwin web
>> page, Cygwin is like every one of the other projects hosted at
>> sourceware.org/gcc.gnu.org.  This includes thriving projects like gcc,
>> binutils, gdb, and others.  All of the developers in those projects were
>> able to figure out how to find CVS (svn, git) web information and,
>> eventually, check out their stuff.
>
>I see now you have Stockholm Syndrome with CVS. Perhaps you missed the question,
>so I will repeat it:

I'm sorry.  You're absolutely right.  I completely missed your assertion
that web search of the code base was crucial to any contributions.

So, to rephrase for my clarification:

You went to the advertised link for the CVS web repository and didn't
see any way to search the repository.  You use the search functionality
that gitweb provides all of the time and think it would benefit Cygwin.

I'll see what I can do about upgrading to using a more modern view which
allows search.  I assume that the contribution floodgate will open.

>Where is the online search function for the mailing list and code base? With
>GitHub you can use this
>
>  http://github.com/svnpenn/bm/search?q=asdf
>
>and it will search all issues and code for a repository. Cygwin appears to have
>no web based way of searching either, besides a Google search. That is sad.

I'll once again point out that gdb, binutils, and gcc seem to get by
just fine without this.  And, maybe I missed something, but I don't see
search on sourceforge.net either.  Given that, I don't see how this can
be a huge barrier to entry.

cgf