Re: Screen crippled by applications using alternative screen

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 05:20:21PM +0000, Dawid Ferenczy wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm still having issues with applications which use alternative screen for
>output (LESS, MAN). When I exit that application, its output stays on
>screen, prompt is displayed over it.
>
>My system is as follows:
>
>OS: Windows 7 Home 64 bit
>Cygwin: 1.7.29 64 bit
>Console emulator: ConEmu 140416 64 bit, Console 2.00.148 64 bit
>
>Example steps to reproduce the issue:
>
>1. execute "man grep"
>2. scroll down to the end (PAGE DOWN)
>3. exit (press Q), result: http://ferenczy.cz/tmp/cygwin/1.png
>4. execute "pwd", result: http://ferenczy.cz/tmp/cygwin/2.png
>5. clear screen (CTRL + L), result: http://ferenczy.cz/tmp/cygwin/3.png
>
>Behavior is the same in plain cmd.exe, Console2 and ConEmu. MinTTY works
>fine. If I exit MAN on first page (without scrolling), the screen isn't
>crippled.
>
>To reach clean screen I have to repeatedly clear the screen (CTRL + L) until
>I browse whole MAN output (all pages). Alternative screen should be
>completely separated from the regular screen.
>
>It's probably caused by that Cygwin doesn't send ANSI codes to the console
>emulator, see https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/wiki/CygwinAnsi.

"doesn't send ANSI codes to the console" doesn't make a lot of sense.
"Cygwin" doesn't send ANSI codes to the windows console since the windows
console doesn't understand ANSI codes.

I don't see the behavior that you are specifying but I doubt that what
you are seeing has anything to do with the gobbledegook on the above
page.  If you do want "Cygwin" to send ANSI escape sequences then you'll
need to make sure that you're using a package which knows how to send
them, i.e., an ncurses-using package, and that the TERM environment
variable is set appropriately.

cgf

It