Re: Update CoreUtils

On 05/11/2014 01:10 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 11.05.2014 18:42, schrieb Steven Penny:
>> current Cygwin version is 8.15
>> http://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/coreutils
>>
>> 8.16 was released over 2 years ago
>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils
>>
>> MSYS2 is already using 8.22
>> http://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/blob/master/coreutils/PKGBUILD
>>
>> Can we get an update? I can create a build if needed.
> The current version of `expand` is not UTF-8 aware (and thus garbles
> output).
> If that's fixed upstream (which I don't know), I would strongly
> appreciate an update, too.

Upstream does not handle multibyte locales very well.  It is a much
bigger problem than just expand, and while some distros like Fedora have
provided downstream hacks that attempt to provide UTF-8, I am not very
willing to port them to cygwin if they aren't in a shape to push
upstream first (particularly since cygwin's wchar_t is a different width
than glibc, and therefore the downstream patches for Linux may fail to
work on cygwin without a lot of tweaking).