Re: Coverity Scan

Hi David,

On May 16 21:00, David Stacey wrote:
> On 25/04/14 16:53, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Depends.  If the report contains lots of false positives, it's getting
> >>annoying pretty quickly.
> >We use coverity at work.  It is annoying and it does have false positive
> >but a lot of what look like false positives often turn out to be:  "Oh,
> >wait.  (#*(&$  Yeah.  That's a problem."
> >
> >If we could use coverity I'm sure it would be interesting if we can get
> >it.
>
> OK - we're in! You can find our project page at
> https://scan.coverity.com/projects/2250. Off the list, I've sent e-mails to
> Corinna and CGF inviting them to join the project ;-)

I got no such mail.  You didn't try the account I'm using for the
mailing list, I hope?  Please use my company address vinschen AT
redhat DOT com.

> It would be responsible of us to restrict access to known vulnerabilities,
> so please _don't_ ask for visibility of the scan results. I will leave it to
> CGF and Corinna to decide who we give access to and when.

I have no idea how this works.  I had hoped I'd just get emails with
the scan results, the less fancy the solution, the better.  We can
set this up using gpg encrypted mails, that would be the most elegant
solution, IMHO.

> There is still a little work to do in setting up the Coverity scan. The next
> step is to group the code into logical clusters, which Coverity calls
> Components. Typically, this is done on directories or other file groupings,
> and the tool allows you to concentrate on just one of these components at
> once. If you let me know what components you'd like, I'll set them up.

Well, the problem is that we're going to switch to git pretty soon, and
that will slightly change the directory layout.  But basically, in the
winsup dir, you see the subdirs

  cygserver
  cygwin
  doc
  lsaauth
  testsuite
  utils

Of those you can ignore

  doc
  testsuite

The other four would be natural groups, I think.  The toplevel and
winsup dirs don't need to be scanned either.

> The Coverity build is being performed on one of my PCs at the moment. I'll
> try to do this at least weekly using a snapshot from the snapshots page.
> I'll also try to submit patches as and when time allows.

You are aware that we need a copyright assignment from you if you'd like
to provide patches, right?  Please have a look at the "Before you get
started" section of http://cygwin.com/contrib.html

> But if this is
> going to work then anyone who regularly contributes to the Cygwin source
> code will have to make use of the tool.

In theory, at the time of writing this, I'd suggest to include only cgf,
yaakov, and me.  Other people could join us on request, if they provide
patches to the Cygwin code base, or provided non-trivial patches in the
past.

> Finally, I'd like to thank Dakshesh Vyas at Coverity for allowing us to join
> the Scan programme.

Yes, that's nice.  I'm thanking him as well.

Corinna

Red Hat