Re: New passwd handling upgrade issue?

On May 23 17:10, Joel Johnson wrote:
> I've been reading the mailing list updates on the new password handling as
> tipped by the message in the updated getent package a few days ago. First,
> thanks for putting this update in place, it will be a welcome improvement
> here with our group. I did notice that 1.7.30 was released earlier today
> with no announcement and apparently doesn't have the new functionality yet
> as expected though.

The problem was in fact that the announcement mechanism had a hiccup.  I
uploaded 1.7.30 yesterday but only could create the announcement a few
minutes ago.

> In my testing locally, everything seems to be going well with the exception
> of one issue that I'm seeing. Upon initial upgrade to the snapshot library,
> when opening a console I would get the "id: cannot find name for group ID"
> message as mentioned previously during testing [1]. This was tested with
> snapshots as recent as today [1.7.31s(0.273/5/3) 20140523 10:31:42 i686
> Cygwin]. In my testing I didn't change anything except add the new snapshot
> dll. Of note is that I had an old /etc/passwd file with (obviously)
> different uid/pgid numbers, and the error was caused by trying to lookup the
> old primary gid as listed in the passwd entry and failing.
>
> According to the discussion previously on the list, cygwin should report it
> as a fake group (either Unknown_Group+XXXX or Unknown+Group with gid -1,
> depending on the reference I read). In this case, the uid is resolved
> correctly (via passwd entry), however the group is not.

First of all, thanks for testing, I really appreciate it.

Hmm, I'm not sure the code can support this scenario as before.  I'll
be unavailable for the next three weeks, but maybe I can have another
look into  this this weekend.  Just don't hold your breath.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat