Re: LPR output disappearing

Greetings, David Masterson!

>> Acrobat -> printer driver -> printer
>>
>> Without the step in the middle, usually, garbage is expected;
>> only exception is when sending a Postscript file to a Postscript printer.

> Rephrasing the question -- where in that chain does the translation of
> PDF to something the printer can print occur?

Between Acrobat Reader and printer driver and inside printer driver itself.
Acrobat Reader transform PDF into something printer-digestible (WMF f.e.),
printer driver convert it into actual printer instructions.

> I'm pretty sure that this printer (Dell A10) is not a Postscript printer, so
> the PDF is not being translated into PS.

That has no connection. The document COULD be translated into PS before
sending it to printer driver, if the driver support that input format.
As I said, there could be more than one translation occuring.

> As I understand it, the job of the printer driver
> is to forward the data sent by the application to the printer
> (ie. manage the hardware).  Therefore, the translation of PDF to
> something that the printer can print either occurs in the application
> (ie. Acrobat or GV) or in the printer (unlikely).  What am I missing?

See above. Your question has no simple answer.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...