Re: rebaseall breaks some packages(?)

Greetings, D. Boland!

>> However, those reinstallations cause some other programs to not
>> work.  For those other programs, rebaseall does help.  Though it
>> breaks bzr, emacs-w3m, etc. again.  It's annoying.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Regards,

> I agree. It's annoying. See this post also:

> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-11/msg00894.html

4.5, soon 5 years. There was a lot of work over rebase and it's cooperation
with setup. Can you reproduce this issue today?

> I'm a developer of Windows software for 15 years now, and my clients never had to
> rebase my binaries.

> I'm also a Linux teacher and I use Cygwin in class.

I suggest a Linux VM, since you are a teacher.
Strongly suggest.

> My students (100+) repeatedly got these errors,

Which are "these errors"? And how long you are using Cygwin?
If you are using it from before the setup/rebase changes, may be, it's time to
do a fresh install and see, if that would improve the situation?
Or switch to x86-64 cygwin, which have a bit better situation with memory
layout.

> so I switched to an improved
> version of apt-cyg, which does not rebase. I'm a happy teacher now.

Unlikely it's true. More likely, it automatically rebase, but you did not
notice.

> What's the deal with this "rebasing" anyway? Every compiler has a built-in
> mechanism to create unique offsets. Windows itself also rebases binaries at
> load-time.

Windows and POSIX models require different load techniques.
Cygwin provide POSIX compatibility layer.

> On the other hand, why not rebase at compile-time?

Because it's not possible for two reasons.
First, packages are compiled in many different places, and second - there's
just not enough memory to place every possible Cygwin library in 32-bit
address space. Neither it's feasible, as noone need every cygwin package at
once.

> Rebasing should not be the responsibility of the user, but of the developer.

Cygwin users are developers. That's the intended audience, anyway.

> See this article:

> http://harshdeep.wordpress.com/2007/05/14/thou-shalt-rebase-thy-dll/

> Hmm.. This turned out to be a rant. I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

It's a simple misunderstanding, overweighted with lack of information.
If you do a search through the mailing list, you can find much better
explanations for the reasons of rebase, than mine.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...