setting character set in mintty

Greetings, Pawel Jasinski!

>>> The way I understand it, mintty sets the LANG variable according to
>>> user settings.
>>> Would it make sense for mintty to invoke "cmd /c chcp <selected>"
>>> (SetConsoleOutputCP)?

>>mintty does not use the console at all.  A chcp call doesn't make
>>any sense.

> Sorry for asking stupid question. My knowledge of cygwin internals lacks.
> However, I can see that for every mintty window (and bash) I get a
> conhost process running. I assume that it is where the character
> setting is stored for non-cygwin processes started from bash.
> Again, it is my naive believe, that somewhere there maybe a convenient
> place to call SetConsoleOutputCP with argument matching content of the
> LANG environment variable.

Even if you do that, it won't help anything at all. Typical windows program
does not expect a change in console code page at all.
If it was designed to use OEM CP, it will output in it regardless of actual
CP.

P.S.
Please teach your mail agent to insert proper threading headers. A thread
scattered across multiple pieces is very hard to follow.
If you're subscribed in digest mode, reply to your own messages sent to the
list.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...