Re: update just ruby on offline cygwin installation

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, LMH!
>
>> I am a bit uncertain about what you mean.
>
>> You said, "grab the current setup.exe"
>
>> Do you mean download the most recent one, or one from another machine
>> with an internet connection?
>
> There can be only one definition of "current". The current one.
>
>> You said, "take both to the machine which you want to update"
>
>> Which "both"
>
> The "setup.exe and archive you've downloaded" both.
>
>> You said, "point setup*.exe at the mirrored packages"
>
>> What do you mean by "mirrored packages"?
>
> The same you choose when downloading. The directory with archived
> mirror.
>
>> I assume that what you need to do is to copy over the install directory
>> from a more up to date installation, meaning the directory with the
>> mirror folders like,
>
>> http%3a%2f%2fwww.gtlib.gatech.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2f
>
>> and select one of these as the local package directory.
>
> No. Select the directory containing the mirrors.
>
>> Is that what you mean? If so, should I use the most recent setup.exe or the
>> one in the existing installation (the one I want to update)?
>
> See above.
>
>> How do I make sure that noting other than ruby gets updated?
>
> As has been said, that's not what you really need to do.
>
>> I will back up the existing installation first in case I manage to bork
>> the thing.
>
> By doing a partial upgrade, you're more likely to "bork the thing".
>

> --
> WBR,
> Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@yandex.ru) 12.08.2014, <02:56>
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...
>

> --

Hello Andrey,

The problem I have is that cygwin has a tendency to remove depreciated
packages when updating. This is an older setup and there are critical
components in the build that are no longer available in more recent
cygwin packages. If I let cygwin just do it's thing, it will break far
more that it will fix. Updating the entire cygwin install would mean
moving to more recent versions of multiple packages and who knows how
much time, effort, and resources would be involved in fixing all of
that. At the moment, the server does exactly what it needs to in its
current configuration, so there is little sense in wading into the
quagmire of updates when there is little or noting to be gained.

There are some post processing steps to what the server does that need a
newer version of ruby. It would be nice to have to post processing done
on the same server, but it is not essential. If I can update ruby
without breaking everything else, than that is worth doing. It is not
worth attempting to update everything just to add the post processing.

I apologize for being tiresome and obtuse, I'm sure that can be quite a
bore from your end of things. I still don't seem to get all of this.

There are terms here like "archive" and "mirror", and "archived mirror"
that still evade me. In the cygwin install on this machine (with an
internet connection), I have an install directory with,

1. setup-x86.exe
2. several local package directories
http%3a%2f%2fcygutils.fruitbat.org%2fITP%2fmingw-gcc%2f
http%3a%2f%2flug.mtu.edu%2fcygwin%2f
http%3a%2f%2fmirror.cs.vt.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2fcygwin%2f
http%3a%2f%2fwww.gtlib.gatech.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin%2f

Are these package directories the mirror or archive you are referring
to. I know I can use the package directories to install on another
computer because I have done that. Am I supposed to download an entire
release directory from one of the cygwin mirror sites or can I use one
of the local package directories listed above.

What I did the last time was to create a new cygwin install on this
machine with its own setup.exe and install directory. I had some
problems moving to another machine when the install I was copping has
multiple local packages. I only ever got a partial install doing it that
way. If I created a new install with only one local package, I could
then move the instal directory to a new computer and install there
pointing to a local package. That was for a new install, I have never
done anything comparable to update an existing installation.

Is that more or less what I am supposed to do? This is to update a
server that does not have an internet connection in case I didn't make
that clear.

LMH