Re: (call-process ...) hangs in emacs

On Aug 28 17:23, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > It's what "acl" means on Cygwin.  "acl" means that Windowsd ACLs are used
> > and permissions are handled and converted to and from POSIX permissions.
> > "noacl" means, Cygwin ignores all ACLs and fakes ownership and POSIX
> > permissions only based only on filetype and DOS R/O attribute, as it has
> > to on filesystems not supporting ACLs, like FAT/FAT32.
>
> Got it.
> It seems, Cygwin need a middle groung between these two for cases, where FS
> support access control, but don't want to be mangled.

I'm certainly not going to introduce another mount mode.  What Cygwin
could do is to perform ACL-based access checks independently of the
"acl"/"noacl" mount mode on FSes supporting ACLs.  However, if you want
ACLs, why not use the "acl" mount mode in the first place?

Still, it *might* makes sense in some scenarios, even if the results of
stat(2)/acl(2) may differ surprisingly from what access(2) returns.

We can also simply try it out.  A patch to enable this behaviour is
dead-simple.

Here's the prerequisite:

  Would more than one person want that *and* be willing to give this a
  *thorough* testing?

Corinna

Red Hat