Re: Question about rxvt and the TERM variable

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Brandon Huber <bhatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> are there any instances where using "xterm" would cause incorrect or unexpected behavior?

Compatibility commentary is available at:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rxvt
* The top of the /usr/share/doc/rxvt/etc/rxvt.terminfo file.
* The "Xterm features not supported" section in the
/usr/share/doc/rxvt/README.xvt file.

The primary difference seems to be that rxvt emulates a VT102 whereas
xterm emulates a VT220.

> I can see a list of differences in terminfo settings by using the
> infocmp utility, but I'm not sure how to interpret the results.

That is exactly why you should ask the person who wants to change
system defaults to explain how the infocmp differences are
inconsequential.