Re: Font support of UTF-8 chars differ between w32 Emacs and Cygwin Emacs

On 9/11/2014 6:21 AM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
Achim Gratz wrote:
Both fonts you use as an example exist in multiple versions with
differing UTF-8 support.  If they don't have that glyph (which is
likely, given the results you report), then Emacs would try to get it
from another font with the same dimensions (I don't know if mintty
does font substitution and if so, how) and the results very much
depend on the font maps used.

I didn't know about that mechanism. But, then, the question is: why does
Windows Emacs find a substitution, and not Cygwin Emacs (for the same
font)?

It's clear that I was wrong when I said that this doesn't seem to have anything to do with emacs. The problem might be that the Cygwin-w32 build of emacs is a relatively recent invention and may still need some tweaking to get all the GUI features working properly. If you or someone else is motivated enough, I'm sure it would be possible to figure out how the Windows build finds a glyph for characters that don't have one in the chosen font, and to port that to the Cygwin-w32 build. I'm copying Daniel Colascione, the author of that build, to see if he has any comments. Dan, the thread starts here:

Ken