Re: Threads

On Oct 24 12:05, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 23/10/2014 16:37, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Oct 23 08:04, Ken Brown wrote:
> >>Yes, flags register corruption is exactly what Eli suggested in the other
> >>bug report I cited.
> >
> >The aforementioned patch was supposed to fix this problem and it is
> >definitely in the current 1.7.32 release...
>
> I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, just that perhaps a similar problem
> exists now.
>
> So I made the attached test case to explore that.  Maybe I've made an
> obvious mistake with it, but on the face of it, it seems to demonstrate
> something...
>
> jon@tambora /
> $ gcc signal-stress.c  -Wall -O0 -g
>
> jon@tambora /
> $ ./a
> failed: 2144210386 isn't equal to 2144210386, apparently

So it checks i and j for equality, fails, and then comes up with
"42 isn't equal to 42"?  This is weird...

> Note there is some odd load dependency. For me, it works fine when it's the
> only thing running, but when I start up something CPU intensive, it often
> fails...

That's... interesting.  I wonder if that only occurs in multi-core or
multi-CPU environments.  The fact that i and j are not the same when
testing, but then are the same when printf is called looks like a
out-of-order execution problem.

Is it possible that we have to add CPU memory barriers to the sigdelayed
function to avoid stuff like this?

Corinna