Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On Nov 10, 2014, at 9:26 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 2014-11-10 14:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>> Shall the "db" entries utilize the Windows home folder if it exits(*)
>> and drop using the unixHomeDirectory?  It seems inevitable...
>
> If one uses the same program, one native Windows and one Cygwin, they would then potentially cause conflicting/incompatible config dot-files in the same directory (line endings, path conventions, etc.).

That’s only true if you make Cygwin $HOME == `cygpath -u %USERPROFILE%`.  If you put it somewhere under AppData/…/Cygwin, any non-Cygwin program that stomps on that directory isn’t following the platform rules.

Not that I think the risk of this is all that great.  I find that a lot of Windows software that comes from the Unix/Linux world already does something different with RC files and such.  Common schemes are:

1. Store files under AppData/…/AppName, where they won’t conflict with Cygwin $HOME == %USERPROFILE%

2. Name files and directories differently, often without leading dots, harkening back to the FAT naming limitations.  Leading underscores are a common alternative here.

Care to list some native Win32 ports that *do* put their user files in %USERPROFILE%, using the same naming scheme as on Linux/Unix except prefixed $HOME?